Blogging for Good: Second Harvest Food Bank #CFLGood
As my Blogging for Good continues, this week I’ll focus on the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. It’s a private, nonprofit organization that collects and distributes donated food to more than 500 nonprofit partner agencies in six Central Florida counties: Brevard, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia.
I remember every year as a youth in both the Cub Scout and Boy Scout participating in the Scouting for Food program. We collect tons of food from our surrounding areas for the Second Harvest Food Bank, filling semi trucks full of donated food. It was always rewarding knowing that this food was going to needy families in our area. I always make sure to clear out my pantry or buy some extra items to donate when that time comes around.
Is Hunger really a problem in Central Florida?
- Yes, last year we distributed more than 33 million pounds of grocery product, the equivalent of more than 21 million meals.
- Approximately 1 in 5 of our population—732,000 people—needed food assistance in Central Florida last year.
- On average, more than 55,000 different people receive assistance from SHFBCF each week
Now let’s “Meet Kate” – This cute video might make you understand the problem a little better:
Read about my other featured non-profits:
- Blogging for Good: Valencia Foundation
- Blogging for Good: Spina Bifida Association of Central Florida
- Blogging for Good: Orlando Science Center
How can you help?
- Share the story of Second Harvest Food Bank with the community by sharing this post.
- Create your own Food or Fund Drive in your community, school, or work place More Info
- Get a ticket for win the “Blogging for Good” Second Harvest Food Bank Basket for a $10 donation Get a ticket for this basket now.
- 3 day/2 night stay in a 2-bedroom villa at any Westgate Resort (excluding Westgate south beach)
- 25 gift card for Elephant Bar
- 2 GA Wine Women & Shoes Tickets (we don’t have our date set yet for next year.. working on a venue this month)
- Pair of stemless wine glasses (with second harvest and Wine Women & Shoes logo)
- Second Harvest Food Bank T-shirt
- Get a ticket for this basket now.
SHFB website: http://www.foodbankcentralflorida.org/
SHFB Twitter: https://twitter.com/2harvestCFL
SHFB Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FeedHopeNow
Blogging for Good: http://www.cflbloggingforgood.com/
Taste of the Nation Orlando
Saturday, August 25, 2012
Join us at the 23rd Annual Taste of the Nation Orlando! Guests will sample delectable specialties and culinary sensations prepared by chefs from Central Florida’s leading restaurants. Showcasing their talent and creativity, the combination of presentation and taste are sure to make the evening unforgettable. Benefits Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida, Florida Impact and Share Our Strength. Details: http://ce.strength.org/events/taste-nation-orlando
Hunger Action Month
September 1-30, 2012
One in five Central Floridians struggle with hunger. That’s why we are asking everyone to take action during hunger action month. Throughout September, join millions of other Americans in giving a little of yourself … money, time, voice … whatever you can … to feed the hungry in your community. In September, our 30 Ways in 30 Days online calendar will make it easy for you to help fight hunger every day: http://cflhungeraction.org
What is Blogging for Good?
This year at Central Florida Blogger Conference (#CFLBlogCon) we decided to do some social good with our social media influence for our local community. I’m going to do my part in spreading the word by spreading the word about 1 of the 6 local non-profits featured each week.
What is “Blogging for Good” presented by the Rollins Philanthropy & Nonprofit Leadership Center?
It is a social media campaign where bloggers raise awareness about local nonprofits and encourage their readers to enter a raffle. Raffle dollars go directly to the charities. By uniting the social media power of over 250 bloggers, we promise to make a difference! http://www.cflbloggingforgood.com/