On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 from 5:30pm-8:00pm Envy Labs new corporate headquarters located in downtown Orlando’s tech district hosted the inaugural FTJ Live event. Florida Technology Journal’s first program took a inside look at Orlando’s tech boom. The panel of digital leaders discussed various topics, including talent, culture, capital investment, entrepreneurship and the impact of the Creative Village, the high tech village currently being developed on the former Amway Arena site in downtown Orlando.
- Daryl Holt, Chief Operating Officer, EA Sports
- Ben Noel, Executive Director, Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy
- Carlos Carbonell, Co-Founder & CEO, Echo Interaction Group
- Pete McAlindon, Co-Founder, Gazelle Lab Orlando
- Craig Ustler, Real Estate Developer, Creative Village Downtown Orlando
- Gregg Pollack, Co-Founder, Envy Labs and Code School
Moderated By: Kyle Christian Steele, Co-Founder & CEO, Doccaster
Here are 4 key takeaways from this event:
- The Orlando tech community needs to support each other and help build a strong community that fosters collaboration, innovation, and funding sources.
- Orlando doesn’t need to be the next Silicon Valley or Austin, it’s needs to be Orlando with a strong focus on developing talent, recruiting talent, and keeping talent around to build businesses in the tech industry.
- Orlando has gone tremendously in terms of tech industry and tech community in the last few years but it will take 10 or more years to continue to build upon these industries and bring new industries to the area.
- Education leaders will need to partnership with industry leaders to develop and bring talent to Orlando and keep them here.
Check out additional photos from the event: http://buff.ly/LAueDn
This event is a precursor to the 4th annual iSummit, held on September 17-18, 2012 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida. At iSummit 2012, digital leaders from across the country converge to discuss emerging trends, innovations and opportunities created by Internet technologies.
Update: Watch the highlights and panel discussion from the evening now courtesy of FilmScape Productions.